Coolest pet Reptiles
We're always talking about all of our favorite furry friends, but some of the coolest pets don't have fur at all: reptiles. We wanted to learn a little more about one reptile in particular, and that's the bearded dragon. We checked in with Petco ahead of its going on in stores this weekend to learn more about these fascinating little guys.
- Reptiles in general can, in fact, be socialized.
- Reptiles make good pets for people allergic to pet hair and dander.
- They can live upward of 10 years if properly taken care of.
- Bearded dragons get their name from the puffed-up skin under their throats that can turn nearly black, resembling a beard.
- They puff up their "beards" as a defense mechanism because it makes them appear more threatening.
- Bearded dragons eat insects, vegetables, and fruits.
- They are super easy to take care of and make great pets because of their low-maintenance nature.
- Their tails are about half their entire body length.
- When greeting another bearded dragon or bowing to a more dominant male, they will stand on three legs and rotate the fourth leg in the air.
- If a bearded dragon loses its tail, it won't regenerate the way that some other reptiles' do.
Reptile Rally will be Jan. 16 from 1 to 3 p.m. in Petco stores, and knowledgable staff will be on hand to help you learn even more about reptiles. And even better, if you want to take home a new reptile friend, they will be priced 50 percent off!