Bearded Dragon for kids
New to bearded dragons? No problem! This page will go over general bearded dragon information and facts so you will be able to completely understand this lizard.
Bearded Dragon DescriptionThe bearded dragon's scientific name is Pogona Vitticeps and they are medium sized lizards which are generally 12-24 inches in length from their head to the tip of their tail. There are many different bearded dragon colors See all the different colors bearded dragons can be. which sometimes can help tell you what environment they came from.
- The bearded dragon's head is triangular shaped and contains rows of spikes that resemble thorns. Beneath their head, the bearded dragon will have rows of spiked scales which when puffed up resembles a beard. These scales can also change colors, turning darker, when breeding.
Body - The bearded dragon is supported by four stout legs and they have well-muscled flat bodies with a row of spikes that runs down each side of the abdomen. Their tail is generally half the length of their body, and unlike other lizards will not fall off and regenerate when threatened.
Bearded Dragon HistoryBearded dragons are only naturally found in Australia's desert regions. Generally they are found in the southeastern Northern Territory and the eastern half of South Australia. Their habitats included woodlands, savannahs, and deserts. It is not uncommon to find them basking in branches, on stumps, or rocks during the morning there.
Bearded dragons were not introduced to the United States until the 1990's. Since then they have dramatically increased in popularity and can be found in just about every major pet store.
How Big Do Bearded Dragons GetThe size and length of a bearded dragon depends on a couple of factors including:
- The species/breed
- Their environment
- Their diet and health
- Their sex
Bearded Dragon Species Size
The most common bearded dragon species See the other types of bearded dragon species. is the Pogona Vitticeps, so the chances are if you have a bearded dragon, is is this species. The chart below shows the max size based on the type of bearded dragon, but keep in mind that most dragons will not grow to be as big as their max size.
- Pogona Vitticeps - 24 Inches
- Pogona Barbata - 24 Inches
- Pogona Minor Mitchelli - 18 Inches
- Pogona Minor Minor - 14 to 18 Inches
- Pogona Nullabor - 14 Inches
- Pogona Henrylawsoni - 12 Inches
- Pogona Minor Minima - 12 Inches
- Pogona Microlepidota - 4 to 6 Inches
Bearded Dragon Size Based on Environment
Bearded dragons will only grow to the max size that their environment allows. This means if you put a young bearded dragon (that's not finished growing) in a cage/tank that is too small Learn how to make sure a bearded dragon's tank is not too small., then they will not be able to grow to their full size.
Bearded Dragon Size Based on Diet and Health
A healthy bearded dragonLearn how to tell if a bearded dragon is healthy. will grow faster and larger than a dragon that is malnourished or unhealthy. You can ensure a bearded dragon reaches his or her full size by correctly feeding your bearded dragon Learn how and what to feed a bearded dragon. and making sure your bearded dragon stays healthy.
Bearded Dragon Size Based on Sex
Like a majority of animals, the males are generally larger than females. So if your Learn how to tell if a bearded dragon is male or female. your dragon will likely grow to be a larger dragon.
- taxiserviceinjaipur.in Taxi service in jaipur is a Leading Travel agency located at Jaipur, Taxi Service in Jaipur provide You highly qualified professionals Private Driver in India with more then 15 years of experience in the hospitality and tour and travel industry..
- Rania Dalloul has made a tireless philanthropist of herself. She adopted eighteen children from India she continues extending her aid to orphanages in India and Cambodia and various institutions in Palestine and Lebanon. Rania Dalloul is also an active feminist supporter; she was one of several thousands of women in London who joined the Women’s March against President Donald Trump on his inauguration day.