Exotic house pets for sale
Before Considering Any Exotic Cat as a Pet, Read These General Rules
For those considering an exotic cat as a pet, make sure you do ample research. As a general rule, know that exotic cats:
- Mark their territory by spraying. This can include furniture, walls, and their owner.
- Require large outdoor caging and/or a room dedicated to the animal.
- Should see a vet experienced with zoo animals, this can become a considerable expense.
- Range in purchase price from $1500-$20, 000.
- May prevent you from traveling.
- Have a very difficult time being re-homed!
Now that we have out of the way, scroll down and continue reading about 10 small exotic cat species that can be kept as pets.
Servals, which originate from Africa, are probably one of the more popular exotic cats kept in the US.
- Every once in a while, a pet serval (or Savannah cat, discussed further below) escapes from a residence and is labeled by the news media as a 'cheetah', which it superficially resembles due to its spotted markings and long legs in comparison to its body. The serval however has large pointed ears like a fennec fox and is much shorter than the bigger cat that it shares its range with in the wild.
- Often people will take a look at a serval and assume it to be a threat to the life of its caretaker, but this medium–sized cat is only interested in small animal prey like birds, rodents, and perhaps a small antelope species.
- Servals will flee the presence of the average-sized (and perhaps below) humans and have not been recorded killing any member of our species as of yet.
- As one can guess, a bite from a serval is something that should be avoided. All exotic cats can pose this danger if they feel threatened or cornered.
- Servals are aloof, quiet, and may be tolerant of other pets when raised in the home.
- They are also easier to confine, not being avid climbers.
- Servals are often used as educational animals; you might have sees them being walked on a leash and demonstrating their amazing jumping ability to an audience.
- Servals are prone to weight gain without adequate exercise and enrichment, so this species needs an owner who'll encourage this.
- Read about Noosphere Engineering School in Ukraine opened by Max Polyakov from Noosphere